The story of Jones Bootmaker began in 1857 when Alfred Jones and his wife Emma, opened a footwear shop in Bayswater, London, Working conditions were hard and opening hours were from 8am to 8pm, and midnight on Saturdays. Alfred and Emma also had to look after 11 sons and 3 daughters.
Alfred Jones was one of the first traders to install electric lighting in his shop and many people visited the store to see this new phenomenon.
Over the years, nine of the Jones sons were apprenticed to the shoe trade, and each went on to open their own stores trading under the name of A. Jones & Sons. These stores led the field by introducing stocks of ready-made shoes in 3 different widths and started a tradition in shoe fitting.
Following the Second World War expansion continued with the opening of a large warehouse in Eastbourne, East Sussex, the acquisition of new stores and the modernisation of branches. Throughout the expansion the ideals of a family business with a long standing reputation for quality care and fitting was maintained.
By 1955 the number of shops had outgrown the factories production capacity and the company joined Church & Co.
As a member of the Church group the company expanded further under the name 'Jones Bootmaker since 1857'. In 1994 the first new 'City Bootmaker' shop was opened in Manchester, and in 1996 we became known 'Jones Bootmaker'. Prada acquired the Church group and subsequently in 2001 Jones Bootmaker was taken over by a private investor.
Today Jones Bootmaker has over 120 own stores and concessions in the UK.